The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin & Mary Pipher

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More FunOne of the next book on my reading list is The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin.

Gretchen also has a great blog here and this post made me smile--Are you the one that other people find difficult?

One of the questions--

--Do you think it important to express your true feelings and views authentically, even if that means upsetting other people?


*****


I had to smile as I read this given my confession on Tuesday that I knew it was my perspective that needed to change when I was finding people "annoying" (in quotes because it was my mood that was mussing up my perspective).




Anyway, I can't wait to read Gretchen's book.  


I finished Living Oprah and I'm currently reading Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World  and so far, it's fantastic.  


Mary also has another book I enjoyed and completely recommend:
  Writing to Change the WorldWriting to Change the World


I read this a few years ago while getting my MFA and it changed the way I thought about things, which is always good.  I think it's due for another read...



Comments

  1. Kelli:

    Gretchen was in Kansas City not long ago speaking at the library. She is origionally from Kansas City and it showed by way of the turnout. She remains very connected here.

    She's a fascinating person. I have a love / hate relationship with her happiness web site. It's very interesting and at the same time a little overwhelming. It is perhaps that latter gadgety aspect of it that sucks me and my Capracorness, but then it can be rather consuming.

    All that said, I have to believe a lot of what she preaches is beneficial to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am halfway through the Happiness Project, and while I don't find that every single thing applies to my life, there is a lot of really helpful information and philosophy. I love that her approach is very pragmatic and she offers concrete ways to move in the direction of happiness. "Happy" reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the question on expressing what you feel, I think the answer is yes, because one way or another we have to tell the truth and be honest to ourselves. We have to be honest because this is a good sign that there is growth in us as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli, have you bought a copy of the book yet? If not, I'd be happy to mail you mine. It has a few underlinings here and there, but it's not too beaten up or broken.

    It would be an honor to mail this book to the woman who put together the great poetry book give away of 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin

    That would be wonderful! Check your email & thank you!

    CouponW-- I agree, I think the problem is when people always feel they must "speak their truth." I do believe there are times when just to be a good citizen, we bite our lip (sometimes hard!)

    Kelly--Thanks for your note. I'm looking forward to it. I hope to post a short review when I'm done, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well and see if had similar insights or feelings.

    Michael, That's interesting you said that about her blog b/c I thought it was just me who felt as if there was a lot going on because I'm wired to overwhelmed easily. But I always enjoy what she has to say.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.