$500 Poetry Contest Prize

Here's an organization and now new literary journal that I really admire. Jay Bates, the found of a River & Sound Review was in my grad program (Rainier Writers Workshop at PLU) and this was his second year "outside project," that has gone on to expand into an incredible show, podcast, and now literary journal.

I'm not much for poetry contests that just involve poems, but I like this one for 2 reasons--

1) I support a River and Sound Review as one of my favorite reading series and now journal and I believe a reader/writer it's part of my responsibility to support organizations I admire

2) $500 is a great prize, plus it's a good opportunity to showcase your work and yourself as poet (you get to be featured in his show).


Anyway, if you're interested, here are the details. Good luck!



The reading period for A River & Sound Review's 2009 Poetry Contest -- The Duckabush Prize for Poetry -- is open from August 1 – October 31, 2009. First place prize will be $500, plus a featured spot on a future RSR Live Production and publication in an upcoming issue of our journal.

Final judge for this contest is Judith Kitchen (right). She writes poetry reviews for The Georgia Review and has recently edited with Ted Kooser (former U.S. Poet Laureate) an anthology of bird poems--The Poets Guide to the Birds (Anhinga Press). She has served as judge for many writing awards, including the Pushcart Prize for poetry, the Theodore Roethke Prize, the Anhinga Prize, and the AWP Nonfiction Award.

For more info on how to enter, visit http://www.riverandsoundreview.org/contests/contests.htm.

Comments